Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!
Right Now at Northside Consulting:
We have been in a very cold snap for some time now. Here are some of the warmer, fuzzier things we have been up to here at Northside Consulting:
- Strategies for starting and extending conversations in high schoolers learning English as a second language;
- Creating and managing high quality, standards-based learning centers in K-6;
- Explicitly teaching independent learning strategies in 1st grade;
- Creating "anchor activities" to increase science exposure during second grade language arts block;
- Using Flickr as an image source in visualizing and verbalizing activities in grades 3-6;
- Working backward from performance assessments to develop essential learning tasks in language arts and mathematics, K-6;
- Using graphic organizers to guide deeper thinking during close reading tasks in grade 4;
- Applying data-driven decision-making thinking in non-traditional classroom settings for young adults.
It's been a very busy month!
Please take a moment to pop over to our new website, Simple Science Strategies
. Click on the image, below, to check out this month's focus: The Mathematics of Nature.
Some posts that will be coming up in coming weeks, in "Tip of the Week":
- Character Analysis: Developing Learning Centers on a Concept
- "Quick Sort" - an Fast Way to Analyze Student Work
- IPad Apps to Support Second Language Learners
- Flickr: Using Images to Support Visualizing and Verbalizing
... and more!
There is Still Time to Check out the New Science Standards!
I am very excited about these standards. Please make sure that you provide any feedback by the deadline in the article.
- Put on your fuzzy slippers...
- Thaw out the bird bath...
- Make some soup...
- Start some seeds...
Have a great February!
Updated: January 27, 2013
If you were directed to this page from a Creative Commons License Notice, this statement informs you that all content on this, and other linked pages by Evan J. Brand, Kim M. Bennett, One Big Happy Family and Northside Consulting, are copyrighted.
Photographs may not be used without express permission of Kim M. Bennett. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Downloadable forms and lesson materials may be used and modified for private use by the user, as long as the original work is attributed to One Big Happy Family. Downloadable resources may not be used commercially.
Use of text content is permitted, provided user includes attribution to the original copyright holder, and provides text or electronic link back to original source page.
Please email email@example.com for any additional information.